Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Sports columnist Mitch Albom has found success and popularity in his occupation, but emotionally and spiritually he is bankrupt. While watching television one night, he comes across an episode of the news show Nightline and learns that his former professor Morrie Schwartz is battling ALS. At first, Mitch is reluctant to pay his former mentor a visit, since, at his graduation ceremony, Mitch promised to remain in contact with Morrie but failed to make good on that promise. Mitch eventually overcomes his uneasiness and, to his surprise, finds a very warm welcome from Morrie. The two begin to discuss the issues of happiness, life, and death, and they soon begin to meet on a weekly basis as Mitch reassumes the role of Morrie's student.
(Taken from Fandango)

This book is so sad. And I'll admit it: I cried. But it's still a really good book and one that I think everyone should read. Seriously, though, I think Tuesdays With Morrie changed my life. It's all about learning what's important in life, which not your job or making a lot of money, contrary to popular belief. Morrie preaches that it's about finding a purpose and being with your family and learning to love people. When reading about Morrie, I wanted to meet him. He seemed so sweet and nice and wise, which made the story even more sad. I feel like he holds this key to happiness and everything he says is so simple, but no one follows it. Everyone is concerned about themselves and making money, and don't take time to appreciate the little things. In short, if you want a life-changing story, I definitely recommend reading Tuesdays With Morrie.

7 out of 10.

2 comments:

nadine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nadine said...

This does sound really sad. It reminds me of when old people tell you stories of their teenage life. And it puts you on a guilt trip, even though that's not what the old person is trying to get at. [if you get what I mean] I bet it'd be a really good movie.

=)
TruBlu
THERE'S A CONTEST GOING ON AT MY BLOG!!!