Saturday, January 3, 2009

Top 8 by Katie Finn

Madison MacDonald is like most teenagers -- addicted to Friendverse, a popular social networking site like MySpace or Facebook. She's spent days putting up pictures, writing about herself, and figuring out which friends to put as her Top 8. So when Madison goes to the Galapagos Islands for spring break, she's gets kind of stir crazy not being able to check her profile. But when she gets back, she sees that her profile has been hacked! Unflattering pictures have been posted, and the hacker has said some pretty mean things about her friends and classmates. But the worst thing of all, the hacker broke up with Madison's very cute boyfriend! Madison must figure out who the hacker is and bring him or her to justice. Her social (and love) life depends on it.

I liked this book a lot. As a fan of Facebook, I could understand why Madison was so upset after her profile was hacked. In Madison's case, everyone has a Friendverse, and everyone looks at each other's profiles, meaning everyone saw the nasty things the hacker wrote. Even though I think the characters put a little too much emphasis on this social networking site, but it was still realistic for today's teens. I also liked how the book was a mystery and Madison had to figure out who the hacker was. At several times I thought I knew who the culprit was, but I ended up being wrong, so that was a surprise. But what was really cool about this book was that it had Madison's Friendverse profile page and some other people's pages. It also showed I.M's and texts sent between Madison and her friends. I thought these things were a nice touch and made the book fun to read and look at.

8 out of 10.

4 comments:

Anna said...

This book looks wonderful. I don't even want to imagine what would happen if someone hacked my page. It would make me really, extremely mad. lol.

hope.

Hillary said...

I enjoyed this book too. I'm sure I'd be extremely angry if someone hacked my facebook page.

The Book Obsession said...

Awesome review! Would you be interested in a link exchange?
bookworm0440.blogspot.com

GirlwiththeBraids said...

This book does sound cool. I have been wanting to read it for a while and reading your review makes me jealous T_T

Cool blog! :)