Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Airhead by Meg Cabot

Emerson Watts is not like other girls. She's not at all interested in clothes, make-up or fashion. Instead, she likes playing video games with her best friend, Chris. So going to the grand opening of Stark Megastores with her younger sister to see famous model Nikki Howard and teen pop idol Gabriel Luna is not on the top of Em's Fun List. But Em's life is about to change drastically, and it's not just her sister trying out for the hated cheerleading team. After a freak accident, she is transported into Nikki Howard's body, and now has to live life as a famous novel. Forget about photo shoots, a spying sponsor, and the paparazzil; Em has bigger things to worry about: such as getting her best friend and crush Chris to notice her.

As a fan of Meg Cabot's work, I can't say that I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed reading Airhead. Meg has this great talent of being able to write smart and funny novels that all bring something new to the table. What I really liked about this one was the science fiction aspect of it, which I was not expecting. Em gets a full body transplant, which means her brain was transplanted into another person's body. Obviously this type of surgery is impossible now, but it was really interesting when put into such a light-hearted and comedic book. It's the perfect antithesis: everyone would love to be change places with a famous and beautiful supermodel. Everyone except Em. It was hilarious seeing Em struggle with things most girls are good at, like clothing, make-up, etc. I also liked that although Em was not a girly-girl, she still appreciated Nikki's work (Em admits that modeling is actually hard) and even begins to like Nikki's seemingly shallow and bubble-headed best friend Lulu. Overall, Airhead was an enjoyable read, and I can't wait to see what happens next in Being Nikki.

8.5 out of 10.

2 comments:

Liyana said...

I loved Airhead! In fact, I think I like Em more than any other Meg Cabot heroines. She seems more.. level headed.

Iryna said...

I agree that "Airhead" was fantastic! The only thing I didn't like about this book was the beginning where Em was still in the hospital. That part seemed a little boring. Fantastic review!