Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Jay Gatsby is the man who has everything. But one thing will always be out of his reach...Everybody who is anybody is seen at his glittering parties. Day and night his Long Island mansion buzzes with bright young things drinking, dancing and debating his mysterious character. For Gatsby - young, handsome, fabulously rich - always seems alone in the crowd, watching and waiting, though no one knows what for. Beneath the shimmering surface of his life he is hiding a secret: a silent longing that can never be fulfilled. And soon this destructive obsession will force his world to unravel. (taken from amazon)

Once again, another book for English class. I apologize for the lack of YA books. I've been really busy but have some reviews coming up (hopefully). Anyway, I loved The Great Gatsby. A lot of people have told me that they liked it and I completely agree with them. It's such an easy read, you have no idea that the book is about 80 years old. Even with the time difference, it's easy to relate to the characters, setting, and conflict. I don't want to give too much away, but the book is a tragic love story juxtaposed with social commentary on the 1920s. F. Scott Fitzgerald was part of the Lost Generation and it is easy to see his feelings of discontent with society at the time. I must say, the ending is a tad anti-climatic, but it fit well with the story. The Great Gatsby is a timeless novel that will appeal to readers of all generations.


8 out of 10.

2 comments:

chocowafer said...

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite among the classics. :)

Hope you get to read more YA books soon! :)

Sadako said...

Nice. I remember this for high school too but it was so good.