Thursday, February 11, 2010

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

Anke's father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she is ignored, forced to be an invisible witness in a house of horrors. Believing she isn't worthy of even the worst kind of attention, Anke feels about as significant as the living room sofa. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. In a sport where you have to yell "Mine!" to play the ball, Anke learns for the first time how to make herself heard. As her confidence on the court builds, she finds a voice she didn't know existed. And it's not long before she realizes that if she can make people hear her while she's playing volleyball, then maybe she can be heard at home, too.

Author Thalia Chaltas leads you straight to the heart of Anke's darkly complicated world in this devastatingly powerful novel in poems. (Taken from inside flap)

Before I picked up Because I Am Furniture, I had no idea that it was written in verse. Not that that's a problem, but for some reason it's always a surprise when I open a book that is written this way. I'm like always caught off-guard, but in a good way, because I don't read too many books in verse. That being said, I think the format suited Because I Am Furniture perfectly. The story is very poetic and deserves to be written as such. And the book is interesting, because many books about child abuse involve the main character being a part of the abuse, but not in this one. Anke is completely ignored, and has to watch while her brother and sister receive the brunt of their father's "attention." I also loved the parts about volleyball, and how from this sport Anke found her voice and was able to use it for helping her family. Because I Am Furniture was a little sad, but overall was a hopeful story.

8 out of 10.

No comments: