Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

Previous Books: The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Gabry lives a quiet life, secure in her town next to the sea and behind the Barrier. She's content to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. Home is all she's ever known, and all she needs for happiness. But life after the Return is never safe, and there are threats even the Barrier can't hold back.

Gabry's mother thought she left her secrets behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but like the dead in their world, secrets don't stay buried. And now, Gabry's world is crumbling.

One night behind the Barrier...One boy Gabry's known forever and one veiled in mystery...One reckless moment, and half Gabry's generation id dead, the other half imprisoned.

Gabry only knows one thing: if she is to have any hope of a future, she must face the forest of her mother's past. (Taken from inside flap)

Ahhhhh!!!! That's my fangirl scream because The Dead-Tossed Waves was too amazing for words. Yes, I loved this book that much. Who would have thought that I would be expressing so much joy for a book about zombies? I'll admit that I was a little wary when I first picked up The Forest of Hands and Teeth (the first book in this "series") but that book was also amazing so I didn't expect anything less. When I first heard that The Dead-Tossed Waves was a companion and not a sequel I was a little upset because I wanted to read more about Mary and what happened to her. But don't worry, because Mary is the protagonist's mother! So we get some info about what happened to her without a whole other book, which I realize is a good thing because I think it's time to hear someone else's story.

Right off the bat in The Dead-Tossed Waves, we get a description of Gabrielle that makes the reader think that the author is trying to make it easy to distinguish between Mary and Gabrielle. Where Mary is headstrong and determined, Gabry is a little more timid. Where Mary has a thirst for knowledge, Gabry is content to spend her life in the little sea town of Vista. At first I thought that Carrie Ryan was trying too hard to make these characters different, but as you keep reading you see that these are nuanced people that change and evolve throughout the story. Gabry starts out as dependent and shy but she quickly changes when the occasion warrants it. That's what I liked about her; she was able to adapt much easier and more quickly than Mary in The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

As for the story itself, there was a lot more action in The Dead-Tossed Waves, which I liked. There was also the romance (!!!) that I love so much. Another love triangle, this time with two very interesting characters. The writing, as always, was superb. I still can't get over how beautifully Carrie Ryan can write these characters' emotions. What I also loved was that this book was thoughtful. There is discussion on love, life, death, zombies, the basics. No, but the characters are so insightful and there was just so much truth in the book, I can't even explain it. Which pretty much brings to me my last point: that The Dead-Tossed Waves is too good for words, and that if you don't read this, you are totally missing out.

10 out of 10.

FTC: I borrowed this book from my library, but I'm about to go buy it because it was amazing!

*I decided to put both covers because they are both so beautiful.

3 comments:

Robby said...

I need to read this book. :]

Anonymous said...

I usually like books that come in a series like this. When there are several books, then I have more of a chance to get to know the characters. Zombies are fun too!

Melina

Unknown said...

I must read Ryan's books!!!