Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Carlos Fuentes doesn't want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him in Boulder, Colorado. He wants to keep living on the edge, and carve his own path—just like Alex did. Unfortunately, his ties to a Mexican gang aren't easy to break, and he soon finds himself being set up by a drug lord.

When Alex arranges for Carlos to live with his former professor and his family to keep him from being sent to jail, Carlos feels completely out of place. He's even more thrown by his strong feelings for the professor's daughter, Kiara, who is nothing like the girls he's usually drawn to. But Carlos and Kiara soon discover that in matters of the heart, the rules of attraction overpower the social differences that conspire to keep them apart.

As the danger grows for Carlos, he's shocked to discover that it's this seemingly All-American family who can save him. But is he willing to endanger their safety for a chance at the kind of life he's never even dreamed possible? (Taken from Amazon)

I loved Rules of Attraction! No surprise there, because it was almost idential to Perfect Chemistry, which I also thought was amazing. I read Rules of Attraction super quick because it really draws you in; I could not put it down. I love Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story type plots so Rules of Attraction fit in that genre perfectly. It also had great characters, and ones that were a little different from those in Perfect Chemistry. Carlos is similar to his brother Alex but he's even more cocky (if that's possible). I also thought that Kiara was more relatable than Brittany because she's more average and not drop-dead gorgeous or super popular like Brittany was in the last book. (I love Brittany, don't get me wrong, but she was too perfect sometimes). There was just the right amount of romance, suspense and humor to make Rules of Attraction a great novel. And the suspense part was really nice because it kind of mixed up the book and added some action so it wasn't just a love story. I think Rules of Attraction will appeal to anyone. And I heard that this is a trilogy? If so, I cannot wait for the next book!

9 out of 10.

FTC: I borrowed this from a friend.

1 comment:

Meg @ write meg! said...

I've heard many good things about these books -- and it sounds like I need to go ahead and pick them up!