Sunday, August 21, 2011

Jane by April Lindner

Summary:
Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane relunctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance.

But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied-relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing revelation from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: does being true to herself mean giving up on true love?

An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing myster, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers. (from book jacket)

Review:
Jane was awesome! And what was even more awesome is that it reminded me how much I love the original Jane Eyre, which I definitely need to reread soon.

I thought that April Lindner did a fantastic job translating elements of Jane Eyre into their modern counterparts. Jane is still the same character, but instead living in the 21st century. Everything worked so well, and I loved reading the book and remembering little things, like how Rochester/Nico and Jane first met, that I had forgotten.

I thought that the romance between Jane and Nico was definitely believable, even though it would be nice if their sections were longer. Also, I had forgotten how long Jane Eyre actually is, because April Lindner cuts out a lot of Jane's childhood, which would have been interesting to see.

This review is super short, but all I really need to say is that I loved Jane and thought it did Jane Eyre justice. Though, I still whole-heartedly recommend the original and I hope you give both a chance!

Rating: 9 out of 10.
FTC: from library.

2010/Poppy/369 pages.

No comments: