Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Summary:
Rachel White is the consummate good girl. A hard-working attorney at a large Manhattan law firm and a diligent maid of honor to her charmed best friend Darcy, Rachel has always played by all the rules. Since grade school, she has watched Darcy shine, quietly accepting the sidekick role in their lopsided friendship. But that suddenly changes the night of her thirtieth birthday when Rachel finally confesses her feelings to Darcy's fiance, and is both horrified and thrilled to discover that he feels the same way. As the wedding date draws near, events spiral out of control, and Rachel knows he must make a choice between her heart and her conscience. In so doing, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk everything to be true to yourself. (from back cover)

Review:
Is it okay that I loved this book?! I know that Something Borrowed is like the epitome of chick lit, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. I even read it in a day (so I think that says something).

I first heard of Something Borrowed when I saw the movie trailer and I immediately wanted to see the movie since it has all my favorite actors in it and the plot looked really good. But then when my friend bought the book I asked if I could borrow it (hehe) before I watched the movie. I'm so glad I did because the book is awesome!

Right off the bat, Something Borrowed hooks you in, and the narrator (Rachel) starts telling you about her and Darcy's relationship. You realize that Darcy kind off walks all over Rachel and Rachel lets her because she is insecure. This is the basis of Rachel's justification for having an affair with Darcy's fiance. And you start to agree with this analysis because Darcy can be a piece of work sometimes. Even though I don't condone cheating, I am open to the possibility that things are not black and white so I liked that Emily Giffin addressed this. The reader can tell that Rachel and Dex are not bad people, just people not making the right decisions.

The ending is half resolved and half cliffhanger and I know there's a sequel called Something Blue from Darcy's point-of-view. I really want to know what happens next but I don't know if I can stand reading a book all about Darcy (yes, she really is that obnoxious). However, I know that I will be seeing the movie as soon as it is released on DVD. I would definitely recommend Something Borrowed if you're looking for good chick lit!

Rating: 9 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from a friend.

2004/St. Martin's Griffin/322 pages.

4 comments:

We Heart YA said...

Why would it be a problem for you to like chick lit?

Kristan really liked Something Borrowed too, but she liked Blue even better, which totally surprised her given how unlikeable Darcy is in Borrowed.

Simply_Megan said...

It's not a problem to like chick lit, I just saw a few bad reviews on GoodReads which made me question my opinion of Something Borrowed. But I liked it, so I don't care.

And I really want to give Something Blue a chance, but Darcy is a handful haha.

Em O said...

I couldn't stand Darcy (I had a friendship very similar to the Rachel/Darcy dynamic in high school) and I really enjoyed Something Blue... I thought I'd hate it, but Darcy really grew on me.

Robby said...

I read Heart of the Matter last year, and I loved it. She is a fantastic writer. NO SHAME.