Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 18

Top Ten Tuesday was started by Broke and Bookish for those who like books and lists.

Top Ten Books that Would Make Great Book Club Picks

1. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose
No matter where you fall on the religion scale, I think that everyone would enjoy The Unlikely Disciple. It follows a liberal, agnostic sophomore as he spends a semester at Liberty University. It brings up a lot of great questions and think it would be interesting to discuss!

2. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathaban3
I read this in my 9th grade Global Studies class and I thought it was great. It's a memoir, and the things that Mark had to go through living in South Africa during Apartheid was just horrible. Luckily for me, the novel had a happy ending.

3. Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin
I love politics so I immensely enjoyed this novel on the 2008 presidential election. It reads almost like a soap opera because it has a lot of information from campaign aides that not everyone has heard.

4. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
I had to read this for summer reading going into sophomore year and hated it. But, I think I was too young to really get it. It's a memoir, and switches timeframe often. She writes about her book club (where they discuss novels such as Lolita and The Great Gatsby), studying in the US, teaching at a university in Tehran and commentary on the Iranian Revolution.

5. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This will especially resonate with female book clubs because it portrays a society where women have no rights.

6. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
I'm including this because I read it for an online book club I used to participate in. It definitely raises a lot of questions about medical ethics.

7. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Really any Jodi Picoult book can be put on this list, but this was the first one I read and would be great for a book club. It also discusses medical ethics.

8. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
I can't believe I almost forgot this book! I read it for summer reading which was perfect because it has a lot of symbolism and metaphors and other literary devices. Discusses themes of faith vs. doubt, free will vs. fate, all that good stuff!

9. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
The taboo topic of incest seems like a good one for a book club.

10. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Such a wonderful book! The story itself is one you just have to talk about.

2 comments:

Library Kary said...

New follower here! Great list! Ooooh, Forbidden - good one! I actually haven't read it yet even though I begged and begged for my hubby to buy it for me. He did...and it's been sitting on my shelf! I really need to get to it soon! Here is my TTT if you'd like to follow back: http://theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-ten-tuesday-book-club-selections.html

Anonymous said...

New follower.
I have not read Forbidden yet, but have bumped it up the list after seeing on so many lists today. Thanks for all of your great suggestions.

-FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews
My Top Ten...