Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton

Summary:
Life as the Preliator is harder than Ellie ever imagined.
Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven’s warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And now that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell’s strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.

She’s been warned.
Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian’s new plan to destroy Ellie’s soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian’s schemes , the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything—including herself.

She’ll be betrayed.
Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay. (from GoodReads)

Review:
Wow!! Wings of the Wicked was amazing!! I think this is the best book I've read in a very long time. I'm so glad I bought this at the bookstore when I did and didn't wait to get it from my library.

I really enjoyed Angelfire but I'm always worried about sequels because they tend to suffer from Middle Book Syndrome. However, I am pleased to say that Wings of the Wicked is the cure! If anything, this book was better than Angelfire, and that's really saying something for a trilogy.

Wings of the Wicked follows Ellie where it left off in Angelfire: she's hunting demons, going to school, and trying to control her feelings for Will. Let me say this, Will and Ellie's relationship is angsty. But in a really good way! It wasn't dumb drama; every time they were together you can tell they have undeniable chemistry and it is so cute how in love they are with each other. And even that makes sense because Will and Ellie have known each other for hundreds of years. Suffice to say, the romance is one of my favorite parts of this trilogy.

I feel like Ellie grew throughout this book. She suffers a lot, and I sympathized with her a lot because her life is pretty tough. But even so, she still remains strong and is still able to kick some demon butt. I love the fight scenes because it shows how powerful Ellie really is.

There were a few twists and turns which I enjoyed for the most part. The "betrayal" the summary talks about was painfully obvious in that I guessed it last book. But the ending leaves off on a cliffhanger which makes me want the next book so bad!!

Overall, I think Wings of the Wicked is the perfect blend of action, fantasy, romance and humor and I am now glad to say that this is one of my favorite trilogies!

Rating: 10 out of 10.
FTC: bought

2012/Katherine Tegen Books/528 pages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so have to read this. Thanks for the great review.
-FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews