Friday, July 13, 2012

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult

Summary:
Attorney D.A. Nina Frost sees a parent's worst nightmare firsthand--she prosecutes child molesters, and she's seen one too many walk free. But when her own five-year-old son becomes a victim, Nina is determined to do whatever it takes to find the assailant--no matter the consequence. (from GoodReads)

Review:
I am on a Jodi Picoult roll! People at my pool have even been noticing the fact that I keep bringing her books in. It's pretty much a combination of my love for her novels, the accessibility of them (my library has like every copy) and the sheer number of books she has written.

I'm starting to notice themes in Jodi Picoult's novels, one of which is motherhood. There is always a character who is a mother, and usually that's an important part of the story. I'm not a mother, but I always feel like I can relate to them in these books. Jodi Picoult makes me love the children and I start to understand how a woman (or man) would do anything to protect her or his children.

Perfect Match was a tough book to read because it deals with the sexual abuse of a child. This was especially relevant, since the Penn State scandal is still in the headlines, and the Catholic Church is facing similar allegations. I thought that Jodi Picoult did a great job of addressing this issue and everyone's responses and reactions were spot-on. Even reading from five-year-old Nathaniel's perspective was so tough because the author was able to get into his mind and we were able to see how he felt.

What was so sad about Perfect Match is that it highlighted the fact that the U.S. justice system so often fails young children. Sometimes the only evidence of abuse is the child's testimony, and if a child is too young or distraught, they can't be used as a witness. This essentially allows predators to walk free, which is a very scary thing. As a prosecutor, Nina deals with this every day, so as a mother, I can see her frustation and her willingness to do anything for her son.

What I liked in Perfect Match (and many of Jodi Picoult's novels) is that I am usually surprised by the twists and turns. Usually in books I can guess what's going to happen, but I was legitimately shocked by some of the plot points in this book. I love still being able to be surprised by books.

It's funny how I can tell that this was one of Picoult's earlier novels, because there are changes in her writing style. But overall I enjoyed Perfect Match (as much as you can enjoy a book about abuse) and think it was on par with the rest of her novels.

Rating: 8 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from library.

2002/Washington Square Press/368 pages

1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I'm pretty sure I haven't read this Picoult yet but it's definitely on my tbr-list. I love her shifts in perspective and how she dives into controversial topics, especially child abuse, so poignant in the aftermath of Penn State. Hope you continue to pick up and enjoy her books!