Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Re-Review: Sprite by Leigh Michael

Summary:
Annabelle Walsh thought she had it all. She was the star of her swim team, had a loving family, a great boyfriend, and to top it off, she’d be starting at UCLA in the fall. One day, she’d be referred to as Dr. Annabelle Walsh.

She was living every girl’s dream – until her life was turned upside down. All starting with finding out that she's not just a human, but also a water spirit. Half-human, half-sprite to be exact. Although not just any sprite, Annabelle is prophesied to be the only one who can save both the sprites and mankind.

With a mix of current events, anecdotes from Greek mythology, tidbits of folklore, and Leigh’s own imagination, we join Annabelle in her journey to restore order beneath the sea. Each step of the way her mind, body, and soul are pushed to the limit begging the question, how much can one half-human, half-sprite take? (from GoodReads)


Review:
Writing a book is hard work - that's why I merely read and review. If writing is your passion, that should be something you pursue. However, publishing is a tough industry, and sometimes a writer cannot find a home for their book. Self-publishing can be an effective way to get your novel out there, but it also allows for some errors to make their way to the finished product. The ability of an author to recognize that their work is not complete is very important and I'm happy to say that the author of Sprite, Leigh Michael, has that trait.

When I first read Sprite, I did not realize that I was reading an older version of the book. The author took it upon herself to revise and edit her novel and republish it. I was so grateful for the opportunity to reread Sprite, because I can't base my humble opinion on a piece of work that is not finished.

That being said, I saw a lot of changes in the new version of Sprite. While the story was the same, which is what I enjoyed the most, spelling errors were corrected, along with other grammatical issues. For example, some of the passive voice changed to active voice. Overall the novel read smoother and was a more enjoyable read.

Since this a re-review, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the mythology aspect of Sprite along with the character of Annabelle. She was a strong female protagonist, which I like to see. I wish the story could have been longer, but the added detail helped me to visualize this underwater world a little better.

So I want to applaud the author, Leigh Michael, for taking the time to edit her novel and republish it. Not many authors would that. If you get the chance to read Sprite make sure you pick the right copy!! I'll be sure to do the same in the future.

Rating: 7 out of 10.
FTC: read on Smashwords provided by the author

2012/CreateSpace/161 pages.

1 comment:

Jennifer Walsh said...

Megan, I truly appreciate you taking the time to re-review Sprite.

I'm very happy with the revised version of Sprite and I'm just as happy to see you enjoyed it better.

No author should have to republish their work. I've learned from this mistake :)