Sunday, February 24, 2013

Book vs. Movie: Beautiful Creatures

So I read Beautiful Creatures about three years ago, and since I didn't love it, I didn't remember much about what happened. Honestly, all I recalled was the basic plot line but I couldn't remember the ending at all. I'm glad that my memory was spotty on this one because there were a lot of changes from the book.

Is it sad to say that I actually had to look up how the book version ends? Usually I'm really good at knowing the storylines of books I've read. But once I reread about the original ending I realized that it is completely different. Actual fans will probably be really upset over the changes, but I didn't mind because I didn't care for Beautiful Creatures that much the first time around.

That being said, I did enjoy the movie. Since it wasn't able to put all 600 pages of the novel into the film, there was a lot of editing and cleaning up of the story. That made it a lot easier to digest. I thought the actors were good, though they didn't look like high school students. The girl who plays Lena (Alice Englert) didn't exactly look 15. There were some funny lines making the film a little humorous. The movie ended in a way that it could be a standalone, so I'm curious if they are going to make more movies (since there are two more books). It probably depends on how well it does at the box office.

I'm probably a bad reviewer to read if you want an analysis on the book to movie transition, because I can't really remember all the changes. But overall I thought the movie was good. I probably won't want to see it again but if you're a fan of the book or just like magic, this might be a fun film for you to check out!

2 comments:

Lynn @ Books on the Bay said...

Hmmm... I wasn't a huge fan of the book either, but it was cute enough. This makes me really want to go see the movie though!

We Heart YA said...

To be honest, we're not that interested in the books, but we're kind of curious about the movie (mainly b/c the adult cast is SO good). Thanks for reviewing it! Sounds like we should probably check it out. And it's cool that it works as a standalone; that makes it even more appealing to us, for some reason, lol.