10 Book Confessions
Here are my top 10 reading confessions. Some I am embarrassed to admit, others less so.
1. I’ve never read a Harry Potter Book – I tried to once but it was during the stage where I hated reading so didn’t get more than 20 pages into it. I’ve never picked one up since, although I have watched the movies.
2. I liked Twilight before it was made into a movie – I purchased Twilight before I knew anything about the movie and loved it. Sadly the movie and hype over it has changed my opinion.
3. I can’t stand novels like To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, any Jane Eyre or Shakespeare – Seven years of having to pull apart the writing and analyse it in huge amounts of detail during my school life has left me never wanting to see the above again. I was beginning to develop a love for reading and these books nearly put me off it again. Also I have a passionate dislike for poetry about potatoes, farming and birth as once again, having to study at least 24 on these subjects alone has put me off poetry. There are so many great new releases I want to read anyway so I don’t have time to try these again.
4. I don’t allow people to borrow my books – I used to lend out my books but I’m now really possessive over them. I hate my books getting dog-eared or damaged (even the slightest mark) so don’t lend them out. Not to mention there are still a few I never got back.
5. Ebooks are growing on me – I used to only read paperbacks and would not touch ebooks, however they are now starting to grow on me due to my iPod Kindle/iBook apps. They are great to carry around and to hold however I would never buy my favourite author’s books as one and I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving paperback.
6. I can read about 900pages a day – If I do nothing but read I can get through 900 pages within twelve hours, now I just wish I could do the same with my own writing.
7. I don’t like to sell or get rid of my books – I think I am a bit of a book hoarder. I have run out of places to store all of my books but still refuse to let any go. I never know when I might want to re-read one though…
8. I hated reading until I was 14 - I wouldn’t pick up a book until I was 14 no matter how many people tried to encourage me. I was more interested in sports.
9. I get scared by the slightest things in books – I have an overactive imagination and get frightened easily by what I read. One book has even kept me awake all night but I still continue to love gothic fiction.
10. I’m not a fan of books being made into movies – Every movie I have seen that has been developed from a book has ruined the book for me as it doesn’t live up to what I imagine. I know I shouldn’t compare them but when it’s a book you love it’s hard not to.
Thanks so much for visiting Simply Books, Mia! Make sure to check out the rest of the tour!