Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 104

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers that like to make lists about books.

Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read

1. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
This was one of the summer reading books for my AP Lit class senior year. Out of the four, it was the only I actually enjoyed. It's pretty long with small print but so worth it. The main character tells the story of his childhood, and of his friendship with the odd Owen Meany.

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
This is one of my favorite classic novels and I'm so glad my teacher put this on the list. It doesn't even read like it's from the 19th century. I love the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester and the Gothic atmosphere is so spooky.

3. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
I can tell why this is considered one of Shakespeare's greatest works. I can't remember everything that happens, but it has a ton of twists and turns and creepy Lady Macbeth seeing blood on her hands.

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This is super popular now that the movie was just released (which was really good by the way!). I really enjoyed the novel before the film and it's such an easy read.

5. 1984 by George Orwell
I'm not really a fan of the ending of 1984 but it was interesting to read one of the first dystopian novels.

6. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
I never really hear people talk about Ethan Frome but it's such a good book. It's really good for discussions because it deals with emotional cheating.

7. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
This is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays, mostly because my friends and I had to rewrite it for class and perform it.

8. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
I had to read this for my 9th grade world history class during the section on Africa. I think I talk about this book a lot but it's about a boy living in South Africa during Apartheid.

9. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
I read this in 8th grade and we could all really relate to Anne because we were around the same age.

10. Tangerine by Edward Bloor
This was a book I read in 7th grade but I think adults would enjoy it too! It has a huge twist at the end that you will not see coming.

3 comments:

health said...

Amazing blog!!

Masanobu said...

Your list is great. For some reason, we tend to think that classics are dull, difficult and boring and miss out on so much humor, soap opera and adventure. Our teachers deserve applause.

Also, and totally unrelated, we have the same blog design and layout! Yes, I'm easily amused.

Aly said...

Love Jane Eyre! I can read that any time. Jane and Rochester <3

Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
My TTT