Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - 135

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Top Ten Books That Were Hard To Read

1. A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin
This book was SO LONG. And the plot barely moved forward. It took me forever to read. I like this series but Martin is in desperate need of a strong-armed editor.

2. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
This book was so sad because it's a memoir of the author's life in Apartheid South Africa. He talks about boiling cow's blood to eat, so you know this was tough to get through.

3. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
I honestly think I was too young to understand and appreciate this book. It was assigned as summer reading for incoming 10th graders and I just hated it.

4. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Even though Heart of Darkness is a classic, I found it to be so boring. I actually fell asleep reading it a few times which is quite unlike me.

5. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
This book is so long and wordy and completely unlike the amazing Night Film by the same author. By the end, I was skimming pages.

6. Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers
While I liked this book, it was difficult to read. The main character is subject to horrible emotional and physical bullying while in high school. I couldn't believe (fictional) teenagers could be so cruel.

That's all I can come up with for now! What books did you find difficult to read?

No comments: